Monday, January 28, 2008

So I am tempted to write off and about the finishings of Facundo, but I'm going to stick to The President.

What a breath of fresh air! I enjoy this book much more than Facundo: it is broken up into smaller and more manageable chapters; it does not take as long to read; there seems to be some sort of plot or storyline which Facundo so lacked; Asturias writes with vivid imagery and interesting conflicts; plus it is just isn't all horses and knives, what now with kidnappings, crazies, women and deception!

One of those I do quite enjoy though, is Asturias' use of imagery. He manages to use description not to bore with facts and background knowledge, but describes to give the reader a picture, to illustrate both his story and his imagination. I like reading about the Zany, about his misadventures. I also find it entertaining that Asturias can write about the thoughts and mindset of the characters, as it is entertaining to read just how disillusioned the housekeeper is or about the Zany's intense dreams.

It seemed weird however, that Asturias chose to name a character Miguel Angel Face, the presidents favourite. Is he implying something similar to himself? I don't recognize other possible illusions as I don't know much about Guatemalan history (as the book seems to take reference), but that reference seemed pretty blunt. "Especially being as beautiful and wicked as Satan." What an ego boost eh?

So I don't have much to complain about yet, I'm actually enjoying this read so far. It's nice to contrast the unidentifiable genre of Facundo with an actual novel.

What I'd like to know, is did Asturias get in trouble for this book as Sarmiento did? Or, since it did not name a country, did a government care?

I hope that is long enough, it seems I have less to write when I enjoy a book. But I'll keep reading for tonight.

1 comment:

Darja M said...

I also found it interesting that Asturias chose that name and found myself wondering why that is. That character, thus far at least, seems fairly positive(though he is "the favourite" and as wicked as Satan)...so maybe you're on to something in terms of the identifcation with the author.

And of course, we know that the wood cutter thought he was an angel...I just took it as a pun...but who knows?