Monday, February 25, 2008

Yo El Supremo

Well this book seems daunting at first. 400+ pages of continuous chatter, unbroken by dialogue or distinguished chapters. However shortly into this book I began to feel a little less intimidated...

I like Bastos' humour. When was this book written? Because I have never read in any other literature book the term "shat". Made me giggle at least. Also, the humourous banter between Patino and the Supreme is enjoyable. Even though Patino sucks up to the dictator and is overtly nice, they seem to have an amicable and truthful relationship. Patino is portrayed to speak his mind freely albeit nicely, which hasn't yet been portrayed in the other books we've read. While the dictator literally dictates Patino, they banter and chat almost as if friends it seems. I believe this adds a more personal and human touch to the book. Unlike Facundo which was written coldly and factually, from a third person and historical point of view, the personality of the Supreme dictator is evident in this book. I believe this makes it more interesting and actually easier to read as I feel more involved.

However, with this banter and personal perspective, I predict a good amount of rambling on the dictator's part. I've already managed to skim a few paragraphs that were rambling speakings on his behalf. His ramblings do prove interesting though, I've found myself noting certain aspects of his views on life, death, and memory

I am curious about the italics in parentheses. When it says "(rest of page burned) is that Bastos' imagination added into the story? It definately gives it an edge of realism, as getting as close to non-fiction as possible. (In the private notebook)? I believe this adds to the personal perspective once again.

The obsessive compulsive tendencies of dictactors continues in this book, with the Supreme's wishes and orders attempting to be fulfilled to the most maximum and rediculous extent, such as searching all the files and dossiers for the handwriting that opened the book. It seems necessary that to be a dictator, one must need to search high and low for all enemy tracks that could threaten their treasured position.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Laura, a technical note... to remind you to tag your posts "span312." That way they should show up at http://www.technorati.com/tag/span312.

Unknown said...

I also found the way Patino speaks so freely to be interesting. He even makes the dictator mad at several occasions and survives.