Monday, March 10, 2008

The General in His Labyrinth Beginning

So, to start off this book, it is noticeably written in a different style than the others we have read. This writing style seems less personable, written from a narrator's voice, unlike I the Supreme or Facundo in which you could read the more intimate thoughts of the author. The General in His Labyrinth strikes me more as a chronological series of events so far, an account of this General with stories and anecdotes relating back to his past.

I found the beginning of this book very confusing. Marquez name drops so many generals, presidents and field marshals from so many different countries that I just got lost amidst it all, and found it confusing to remember and note who I was in fact reading about. Add to that the General's bipolar energies and intense mood swings, and it is not any easier.

It is interesting however to read about this General who already seems to be defeated, who is ill and decrepid, who is weak and inconsistent with bouts of delirium. This seems to be in such contrast to the idea of the strong minded dictator, to the invincible man who rules a country: this general is obviously physically vulnerable and is not in total control of his mind.

It is also interesting that this General managed to have a woman love him for years. From other accounts, it has sounded like dictators and generals are more lonely, independent men - too vile, vulgar or violent to allow for a woman to fall in love. This general, amidst a country of enemies and only a few to support, appears more humbled and human with Palacios at his side and a woman to say good bye to before he leaves the country.

I like the layout of this book much better than I the Supreme i.e. margins and a reasonable number of pages, and more of a modern novel layout. I think this will be easier to follow and continue reading, if he manages not to confuse me with multiple names and countries free from explanation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura

I would be glad to try and assist you with the confusion of all the long names and characters of the story if my Venezuelan high school history is fresh enough.
The softness of the book, the font, the way it is written, the simplicity and accuracy of description. So much nicer than the Supreme I agree!!

Darja M said...

Hi Laura,

I was initially scared about the names...I got uncomfortable flashbacks to Facundo...but to me it doesn't seem as bad in this one.

I also thought it wa sinteresting that you read it as a chronlogoical series of events...I read it as nonlinear and found it interesting how he jumps from the present to several years in the past and back seamlessly while not making it too confusing.

Unknown said...

You mention how this is written in a different style than the other books, less personable in terms of knowing what the author thinks, but I propose that I feel closer to the General than in the other books. So while we may be more distanced from the author I like how I can feel closer to the main character for once.